Perth, one the most isolated cities in the world and the sunniest in Australia is the birthplace of Global Runaways. It was here that we would decide to pack up our perfectly normal, ordinary lives and hit the road, in search of adventure!
So what makes Perth a place to visit? Here are our personal top 5 destination picks;
1. Enjoy a beer and pizza at Little Creatures in Fremantle. This boutique brewery pumps tunes and fills up quickly. Get in early for a shady spot under the olive trees in the garden or to sit on the deck overlooking the harbour.
If you are here on a weekend, be sure to wander the markets for local produce and a souvenir or two. Another worthy mention is the Fremantle Prison. Guided tours provide a fascinating insight into life within the walls of a place that offered 140 years of incarceration.
2. Take a relaxing stroll through some of the 400 hectares that is King’s Park and the botanical gardens. The War Memorial here offers a perfect vantage point of the changing Perth City skyline and the opportunity to take some magnificent photos of the Swan River. Take a picnic and chill out!!
3. No trip to Perth is complete without a ferry ride to Rottnest Island, located 18kms off the coast. The easiest way to get around the island is by bike. These can be hired on the island or on the mainland before heading over. Snorkelling here is also highly recommended with an abundance of limestone reef to explore. Ferries are cheapest from Fremantle and cost around $30 per person each way*
4. Cottesloe Beach…firstly, spend the morning lazing in the warm summer sunshine before heading up to either “The Cott” (The Cottesloe Beach Hotel) or the “OBH” (Ocean Beach Hotel) for lunch and ice cold beer. Both establishments are popular hot spots for a West Aussie Sunday Session – just make sure you don’t have to work Monday!
5. And finally, the Perth Hills region; Bickley-Carmel Valley, Pickering Brook, Mundaring…this area is a must for lovers of quiet Sunday afternoon’s, sipping wine or cider away from the grind that has become the original Perth wine region, the Swan Valley.
Service here is still by the winemaker, straight from the cellar door, offering their knowledge and expertise, something that really compliments the tasting experience. Our favourite? Due Jolly Winery, 165 Merrivale Road, Pickering Brook, Western Australia 6076 - tell Rob we said hello!
So that is it. We don’t know when we’ll be back, but we hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
*Price correct at time of printing. For current pricing please visit http://www.rottnestisland.com/
Videos by Global Runaways